Friday, May 2, 2008

Day 19: Tel Azeka to Moshav Lakish

We woke up to gale force winds and a beautiful sunrise, the moon also still hanging in the sky behind us. Packing up was no easy task, my tent almost got blown out to sea 30 kms away. Soon the 4 were down to 2, as Brandon and Simon chose to call it a day. Jonathan and I have had similar adventures, he too has been to India, Thailand and other eastern countries, he too has looked into alternative lifestyles, done plenty of hiking and living off the land, and has now come back to discover the beauty, wisdom and spiritual insight of Torah Judaism. So, conversation flowed nicely as we once again braved the terrible heat.Recently we have had the joy of meeting many Bedouin shepherds, who have been generous in sharing milk from their goats with us – a welcome treat in the middle of the day. At noon we needed to take cover from the heat – check out this video:



Traveling in general, but more specifically being on this trail, really helps you appreciate everything you have. Water is an essential and priceless commodity, and we fully appreciate each drop as if it were fine wine. We are not carrying any unnecessary item, and each thing really serves a purpose, means a lot to us and we really take good care of it. It shows me that if I just get down to the essentials of life, I could really be free from things clogging up my room and my mind, and I could really find pleasure and gratitude in all of the abundance which is thrown my way. It says in Pirkei Avot (Ethics of the Fathers) ‘Ezer hu ashir?’ ‘Hasameach behelko!’ “Who is rich?” He who is satisfied with what he has!” I have everything I need and if just I focus on what I have rather than what I don’t have and think I need, I would surely be a happy man. Even on the trail where I am cutting down on consumption and eating small (yet tasty and healthy) meals, it is much more than the children in Malawi will ever see. They survive on one bowl of porridge and a few vegetables a day, whereas I am used to meat and 2 veg at least once a day. Makes you realise what you have, and what you have to give those who need it.
Anyway, back to the trail where we met a group of scouts who gave us oranges and water, where we had a shower from a hose on the side of the road and where a car stopped, reversed and gave us 2 ice-lollies, both of which I happily ate.



Finally we reached Kfar Lakish, a beautiful Kibbutz 60 kms south west of Jerusalem. After chatting to the Thai workers (great to have so many opportunities to practice my Thai) to find out if we could shower and perhaps stay with them, we set off to rendez-vous with Jeremy who was waiting at the front of the kibbutz having become National Ultimate Frisbee champion. After considering our options, a car drew up and asked if we would like a place to sleep. Not an offer we have ever said ‘no’ to! So they whisked us off in their car to their parent’s house, where we had warm showers, before Jeremy rustled up some matza-brai and omelette, which went nicely with the salad, cheese and several litres of ice-tea they brought out. What beautiful, hospitable generous people they were. It shows like so many times before on this trail that you don’t have to be religious to have a holy heart. Thanks Tal and Guy.
- Bradley

No comments: